With the foundation repair out of the way, we can begin on lowering the PVC line that provides water to our irrigation system. The idea is to lower the line down to bed rock, as it comes out from under the path by the gate and then keep it down on bed rock along the house, around the corner and up the the edge of the current excavation. Later we can excavate the rest of the backyard and lower more of it.
Since we are replacing the PVC line, the extra distance is not an issue. But in addition to the PVC water line, the electrical wiring for the various zones also travels with the line. Apparently standard practice is to dig a trench, throw the wiring into it, put the PVC pipe on top of the wiring and then cover everything over with dirt. So the wiring now has to go down an extra couple feet and then, eventually, back up a couple feet. So we need about 4 feet more wire.
To do this, we called American Irrigation Repair, as we have before, and had them cut all the wires and splice in an extra four feet of wire. Each wire had to be cut, spliced on both ends, and the splice stuck in a special adaptor that keeps it waterproof under ground.
Once that was done, we could remove all the old PVC pipe, and begin laying our new PVC. We used "Schedule 40" which has thicker PVC walls.
We had to put in connections for Zone 2 and Zone 3.
And we then came back and connected Zone 3 to the existing piping for it. This leads to underground drip irrigation lines in the North and South beds.
We continued the line around the corner and hooked it into the existing PVC which runs across the backyard, where we haven't dug it up yet. We put a connection for Zone 4 into the line before connecting it to the existing PVC.
Before we sealed it off, we ran water to try to flush out any dirt or debris that got into the line.
And then we connected the Zone 4 control value. We don't have a plan yet for what Zone 4 waters or where the lines go, but we have it ready.